BackPack Beginnings has experienced extensive growth since its inception and now does so much more than just fill backpacks in elementary schools. Did you know that BPB has a Food Pantry Program, dedicated to helping older kids in need? Here are five quick facts about the program:
- Our Food Pantries focus on middle and high school students in need and are available within the schools.
- BPB just opened our ninth Food Pantry at Smith High School! Our other participating schools are Guilford Middle, Hope Academy, Jackson Middle, Kiser Middle, Grimsley High, Allen Jay, Ferndale Middle and Welborn Middle.
- Our mission is to provide nutritious shelf stable food as well as FRESH food to participating students, in order to provide a wide range of the nutrients they need.
- During the 2014/2015 school year, we distributed almost 14,000 pounds of food to our food pantries…that’s over 25,000 items! We expect that number to increase this school year!
- We currently have eight school on our waiting list for this program.
Would you like to help our Food Pantry? We welcome all donations, but specifically need these items right now in our Food Pantry:
Canned fruits and vegetables
Written by Courtney Murphy on 10/8/2015