BPB’s COVID-19 Response
BackPack Beginnings is so grateful for the outpouring of support the community has shown us via calls, texts and emails asking how they can help! We are working closely with Guilford County Schools and our other partner agencies to make sure plans are in place to feed children while schools are closed. However, we can’t do it without community and volunteer support. Below are the best ways to help us aid these children:
1. Volunteer in our warehouse to sort food, check bags of food, pack bags of food and more. We ask that all volunteers read and follow our safety guidelines while in our warehouse. You can read these new policies and sign-up to serve at www.backpackbeginnings.org/donate-time. If shifts are full please keep checking back to see if we have opened up more spots or had cancellations. We are currently only adding opportunities one week at a time. We are monitoring the CDC COVID-19 guidelines daily and will add updates to our policies as they become available or necessary.
2. Help stock our warehouse with our greatest needs. Please drop off food at our facility located at 3707-D Alliance Drive Greensboro, NC 27407 anytime during our operating hours shown on our website www.backpackbeginnings.org/contact. While we are in the office, we will leave a cart out front for donations so that we can abide by the social distancing recommendations. We are currently concentrating on items that are ready to eat or can be prepped via microwave, as we want to make sure we are offering food items for all types of families, such as those living in cars, motels, hotels, etc. Examples include 24 oz canned spaghetti sauce, microwaveable bag of rice, microwaveable mac and cheese, full size pop-top Chef Boyardee meals, pop-top soups, canned chicken and tuna, squeezable jelly, pop-top canned fruit, 2lb complete pancake mix (just add water), 16 oz beans, 28 oz or smaller peanut butter, smaller boxes of cereal, canned veggies (ones in bold are highest needs right now).
3. Donate funds to help us purchase needed food items and supplies. Donations can be made at www.backpackbeginnings.org/donate.
4. Sign up to be notified of delivery and distribution needs. We are keeping a list of volunteers who will make deliveries for us AND a list of volunteers who are open to deliver AND distribute food to families. To be added to one or both lists, please email Wendy Brewer at email@example.com and let her know which list(s) work best for you. Current locations include: Brightwood Elementary, Cone Elementary, Dudley High, Eastern High, High Point Central High, Irving Park Elementary, Jackson Middle, Jamestown Elementary, Johnson Street Global, Montlieu Elementary, Northeast High, Northwest High, Oak Hill Elementary, Parkview Elementary, Peck Elementary, Pilot Elementary, Ragsdale High, Rankin Elementary, Shadybrook Elementary, Southeast High, Southern High, Summerfield Elementary, Swann Middle, Union Hill Elementary, Washington Elementary, Welborn Middle, Western Guilford Middle and Wiley Elementary.
5. Donate your gently used plastic or paper grocery bags to our warehouse to help us make the weekend food bags without having to spend money to purchase new bags. While we are in the office, we will leave a cart out front for donations so that we can abide by the social distancing recommendations.
6. Please keep our community, especially our children and families in need, in your thoughts and prayers.
Thank you for support during this difficult time for our community and children!