Thousands of children are displaced from their homes due to trauma each year. Our Comfort BackPacks offer care, comfort and basic necessities for children during traumatic situations. We provide backpacks full of comfort items such as blankets, stuffed animals, books, hygiene products, school supplies and more to abused/neglected, homeless, foster, and refugee children.
419 Comfort BackPacks delivered quarterly
26 Partner Agencies
1,677 children served this year
- Abused/neglected, foster, homeless and refugee children are often removed from their homes with only the clothes on their backs.
- Over 5,164 children were reported as abused or neglected in Guilford County during 2010-11.
- 565 children in Guilford County were placed in foster care from 2010-11.
- 2,330 students in Guilford County Schools experience homelessness.
- Over 500 refugee families arrive in Guilford County with very few possessions.
- Backpacks are filled with age and gender specific comfort items and basic necessities for children experiencing trauma.
- Backpacks are supplied to Guilford, Forsyth and Alamance County partner agencies to give directly to children in need.
- All Backpacks include a blanket, book, journal, hygiene products, school supplies, socks, age appropriate toy and stuffed animal.
- Our organization is 95% volunteer run. Comfort BackPacks are packed monthly by approximately 20 volunteers and distributed quarterly to partner agencies.