BPB’s Summer Feeding (https://backpackbeginnings.org/summer-feeding/)
BackPack Beginnings is so grateful for the outpouring of support the community has shown us to allow us to expand our summer feeding! We are working closely with Guilford County Schools and our other partner agencies to make sure plans are in place to feed children while schools are closed. We will be distributing food at 32 Grab-n-Go GCS school sites (Eastern Guilford High, Northeast Guilford High, Page High, Shadybrook Elementary, Allen Jay Middle, Oak Hill Elementary, Southeast Guilford High, Jamestown Elementary, Johnson Street Global, Union Hill Elementary, Brightwood Elementary, Hairston Middle, Montlieu Elementary, Welborn Middle, Archer Elementary, Northwest Guilford High, Ragsdale High, Southern Guilford High, Dudley High, Rankin Elementary, Wiley Elementary, Alderman Elementary, Kernodle Middle, Swann Middle, Washington Montessori, Irving Park Elementary, Jackson Middle, Smith High School, Gillespie Park Elementary, Hunter Elementary, Pilot Elementary, Western Guilford Middle), Hayes Taylor YMCA, YWCA Family Shelter, Guilford Health Department, Cone’s Rice Center for Pediatrics, Guilford Child Development, Mustard Seed Clinic and more. However, we can’t do it without community and volunteer support. Below are the best ways to help us aid these children:
1. Volunteer in our warehouse to sort food, check bags of food, pack bags of food and more. We ask that all volunteers read and follow our safety guidelines while in our warehouse. You can read these new policies and sign-up to serve at www.backpackbeginnings.org/donate-time. If shifts are full please keep checking back to see if we have opened up more spots or had cancellations. We are currently only adding opportunities one week at a time.
2. Help stock our warehouse with our greatest needs. Please drop off food at our facility located at 3707-D Alliance Drive Greensboro, NC 27407 anytime during our operating hours shown on our website www.backpackbeginnings.org/contact. While we are in the office, we will leave a cart out front for donations so that we can abide by the social distancing recommendations. Food needs include 24 oz canned spaghetti sauce, 1-lb bag of rice, microwaveable mac and cheese, individual nut-free snacks (pretzels, goldfish, animal crackers), full size pop-top Chef Boyardee meals, canned chicken, squeezable jelly, pop-top canned fruit, 28 oz or smaller peanut butter, nut-free full size box of cereal (14 oz), canned veggies (ones in bold are highest needs right now).
3. Pack bags of food off-site. Visit https://backpackbeginnings.org/summer-feeding/ and click on “Pack Summer Food Bags” for instructions and menus to assemble bags of food and bring to us ready to go out. It is a great activity for families, youth groups, corporate groups and more.
4. Donate funds to help us purchase needed food items and supplies. Donations can be made at www.backpackbeginnings.org/donate.
5. Sign up to be notified of delivery and distribution needs. We are keeping a list of volunteers who will make deliveries for us AND a list of volunteers who are open to deliver AND distribute food to families. To be added to one or both lists, please email Wendy Brewer at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know which list(s) work best for you.
6. Donate your gently used plastic or paper grocery bags to our warehouse to help us make the weekend food bags without having to spend money to purchase new bags. While we are in the office, we will leave a cart out front for donations so that we can abide by the social distancing recommendations. Hours for drop-offs can be found at www.backpackbeginnings.org/contact.
7. Donate “extras” to go along with the bags of food. We will be sending out other items in addition to the food, which include toothbrushes, toothpaste and new/gently used children’s books.
8. Please keep our community, especially our children and families in need, in your thoughts and prayers.
Thank you for support during this difficult time for our community and children!